Sunday, January 11, 2015

Eating on the cheap

I love good food, but there's nothing quite as satisfying as getting a great meal and paying next to nothing for it. My favorite lunch is anything yummy for around 5 bucks.

(One cheap, healthy and delicious meal I have regularly is from Taco Del Mar - a chain notable for NOT being represented in the International District. Getting the a la carte black beans and rice together with an a la carte chips and salsa, plus a large ramekin of jalapeƱos runs me just over $4.50. Mixed together, it's as much food and just as delicious as a vegan burrito. But I digress...)

Here are my recommendations for eating cheaply in the ID. Let me know if you have found a better meal for a better price!


Fortuna cafe.  

The first time I walked into this hole in the wall, I was impressed by the space. It's small and owner-run like many of the establishments in the district, but the building features a semicircular upstairs balcony with beautiful wooden railings - details that suggest a rich history for the building.

The woman at the register suggested the fresh lamb brisket when I walked up to the register. Very fresh, she told me. Five dollars.

Lamb for five bucks? Yes, a delicious, succulent lamb stir fry with gravy, over steamed rice. For five bucks. I expected a poor cut of meat, but the meat was plentiful and tender with incredible flavor. I'm looking forward to a return trip!


Duk Li Dim Sum
As I've mentioned previously, this is my favorite spot for dim sum in the city, in part because of the value for the price. My usual meal of shrimp dumplings and siu mai - four pieces each - runs me about 4 bucks. The food is freshly made and available immediately. Good stuff.


Dim Sum King
Another favorite, Dim Sum King offers dim sum and noodles by the piece. at 60 cents a dumpling, it's pretty easy to put together a nice nosh for very little money. Some of the best pot stickers in the ID.


Asia Bar-b-que  
If you're looking for a filling meal for less than ten bucks, here's the place to go. I ordered a dish of noodles, steamed vegetables and BBQ pork. For 6.50, I expected a standard lunch portion, but what I wound up with looked like two meals!

As far as the food quality, it was ok. Not a favorite, but the food was acceptable, and if you're looking for quantity, this is the place, for sure.


And the winner is... Nick's Combo
If you're ok with take-away, and you're up for walking a few blocks, here's my recipe for the perfect cheap meal in the ID:

  • First, I visit Duk Li on Weller for shrimp dumplings (about $2)
  • I make sure to stock up on their chili oil and some soy sauce, which I pour directly into the container
  • Second stop is at Kau Kau barbecue for 1/2 pound of BBQ pork (about $3)
  • Finally, I head to Dim Sum King on Jackson St. for 3 or 4 pot stickers (60 cents ea.)
I mix it all together and eat it with the chili oil and soy sauce - best of all worlds! If the weather is nice, you can eat in Hing Hay park and listen to Fred Ji play the erhu.

Spend like a peasant, eat like a King - great work if you can get it!

Eat on,

-N






No comments:

Post a Comment